Sunday, October 7, 2012

Blog 4 EDRD 6950

For our learning module 4 I watched the video "Building Oral Language" on the "Teaching K-2 Reading". In my module I wrote mostly about the centers that the kindergarten teacher uses in her classroom. I loved that she had theme based centers, and that the centers enrich the learning going on during the week.
In pre-k we are required to switch out things in our atleast 5 of our centers every month or so. We also have to fill out a form everytime we add something or switch something out. As a grade level at my school, we all switch things out at the end of every month. So around the end of the month we have to start thinking about what we are going to be teaching and what we want to put into our centers. For October, we are working on fall/leaves, spiders, scarecrows, bats, and pumpkins as our weekly themes. So I added corn kernels with spider rings to my sensory table, file folder games with pumpkins to my math center, books on our theme and fall themed file folder games to my reading center. In the writing center I added word cards with matching pictures for the students to write the words on papers for their parents or friends.
In order to enhance the student's learning, we have to make the learning fun and include it throughout the day. By having the centers that my students spend an hour at each day include things that we are talking about, the students are getting hands on experience with the material.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you about making the learning fun. In an article I read, the authors make several mentions of having centers or learning experiences that evolve out of students' interests. I think the more we can include the students in their own learning, the more the students will learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are right on the money with making learning exciting and engaging for students. You seem to be engaging several of their senses and the students are actually interacting with their lessons (the corn kernals) and file folder games. Good job for allowing your kids to be happy to be in the classroom!

    ReplyDelete