Saturday, September 22, 2012

Blog 3

Word sorts have completely changed my lesson plans. I honestly didn't think I woud be using them with my students since they are so young. But now I do one everyweek.

Obviously we start small with pre-k kids. We have only done four letters so far but the kids love. We started with the letters "B" and "M" and we do not even use the written word. I show the students the different pictures that go with the letters we are doing. We do the same letters for two weeks so that the students become very familiar with the letters and their sounds. After doing four letters in two separate word sorts, I do all four letters together with the students as a kind of review.

The kids love it and are getting really good at. And it definitely improves my lessons and ability as a teacher.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Olivia,

    I always like reading your blog because knowing what the little ones are doing is interesting to me. Good luck with your new lessons. Are you ever able to give them a speed sort or some way use concept sorting with pictures for them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Olivia,

    It has been great to see your growth in instruction in class as well as online through your blog. I think that the fact that you acknowledge that you are always learning and willing to try something new makes you an excellent teacher. I too have had to adjust to completing word sorts. Now that I am more comfortable, I find my self trying to fit in at least one word sort with each new concept that I cover with my students.

    ReplyDelete