Sunday, October 21, 2012

Blog 5

In this blog we are supposed to talk about transistional readers. While I have not worked with students in this stage often, I do have personally experience seeing how students cope with this stage. During the summers I keep 3 kids. I used to also pick them up from school for about 2 years before I finished college and get a real job. One of the 3 is a now 10 year old girl with ADHD, and through the years I have seen her struggle with reading constantly. She is not on grade level with her reading and it is incredibly frustrating to her, especially since her younger brother is reading grade levels ahead of her.
Over the years, she had gotten a lot better with her reading skills and is still working on getting on level. In the summer I take all three of them to the library and get books once a week. They also participate in the reading program at the library. Even with the incentives given by the library, it is hard to keep her motivated. She is quick to give up and would rather listen to me read to her instead of trying on her own.
With students in the transitional stage, it can be a frustrating time for them. It is important for them to feel supported by their teacher. It is the teacher's job to constantly find and give them new strategies to use.

4 comments:

  1. If you keep the children again this summer keep reading to the child but try to engage her in discussions about what you have read. This is still benefiting her. You are expanding her knowledge base and her vocabulary. Get her to tell you a story, transcribe it and use that as a text for her to read. Keep her learning and engaged without becoming frustrated and she will benefit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you Olivia, it does seem liek this is the stage that more students are unmotivated or uninterested in their reading perhaps of thier previous experiences. You are right about the teacher being supoprtive during this time. I think the best way a teacher can support their students during this time is to become aware of how they can help the students improve in their spelling, reading, and writing. Teachers should be more proactive during this process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When my brother and I were younger, we also participated in library reading programs during the summer. I loved to read and he hated it. My mom eventually began to get him books on tape as well as the print book. He was much more apt to listen to the tape and follow along in the book than he was to just read silently to himself. Maybe this is something that could be tried?

    ReplyDelete
  4. A couple of summer ago, I kept a child with high functioning autism. This child loves to read and have books read to him. He too has a brother that is functioning above him. As I worked with him, I tried to get him to see that he has the capability to learn just at a slower paste. I find special needs kids require extra assistance, but do not cripple them. Allow them to explore. I support all my slower learners in my class. I give me extra support and extended time. I know they have the ability to learn, but it takes time on both our parts.

    ReplyDelete