Saturday, August 25, 2012

Chapter 1

In our first chapter of "Words Our Way", we pretty much just get an overview of words sorts and what they are. Which is helpful since I have never seen them or heard of them until this class. As a pre-k teacher I work with students in the emergent stage of reading. They come to my class with the most basic knowledge. Some do not even know how to write their name.

In my classroom, we are starting to focus on the alphabetic part of the word study. We work mainly with teaching the alphabet and working on the sounds that the letters make. Young children, especially pre-k students, love to play. And as teachers we are encouraged to teach students in an active kinesthetic way. Word sorts are one way to do that. It involves the students manipulating cards rather than sitting still and being told what to do.

"Telling is not teaching". I loved that quote because it is incredibly true. We can not just tell the students what we as teachers know, but we have to show them and let them learn themselves. A lot of stuff in pre-k is centered around exploring and learning on their own. With word sorts, students could have a large control over their own learning. They are able to make decisions and practice on their own, building their confidence and knowledge. In my own personal classroom, I would use a very basic word sort, with pictures instead of words, and allow the students to sort those cards in whatever way they think off. This promotes individuality and fosters a sense of exploration in the students.

For Learning Module 1, I watched a video on spelling and writing. Here are my notes from the video:

Reading Rockets Writing and Spelling Video
Introduction: Writing and Spelling
•Writing is inseparable from reading and spelling.
   1.Need to the ability to read and spell in order to write effectively
   2.Spelling helps us see the patterns in our language
   3.Good spellers become faster, more fluent readers because spelling helps us see how words are built

Spelling Patterns
•R.I.S.E: Reading Initiative for Student Excellence
  1.Every morning, students across all grade levels regroup together for a 90 instructional reading time
   2.Groups of students are based on their reading achievement, so students are ability grouped for more specialized instruction
  3.Students are using word studies in order to understand spelling patterns, to help them become better readers.
  4.Large group word sort together as a class to “check for understanding” throughout the room, before letting the students do individual word sorts

Invented Spelling
•When students spell a word in their own way, that is invented spelling
•This method of spelling gives the teacher a greater insight into the child’s thinking
  1.Problem areas for the children’s reading, shows up first in their writing, in more dramatic fashion.  
  2.Unconventional spelling is not always a sign of trouble
  3.Practicing invented spelling helps the child build letter/sound connections
•“Spelling is a puzzle”
  1.Once you learn the rules of spelling, everyone can solve the puzzle
  2.Spelling inventively lets the students practice their phonemic awareness

4 comments:

  1. Hi Olivia,

    I also related to that quote "Telling is not teaching". In the middle school students want independent study at their seats or in groups, so the practice of placing the assignment on the board and allowing students to just get to work is too common in my opinion. I do not feel like I am teaching when I do that. I want to teach and engage the students and let the students ask questions and explore the lesson/activity/assignment together. I wanted to read your blog because I often wonder what the other levels are doing and you are at the fundamental level and learning so your perspective is interesting and insightful to me. Thank you for your blog and I look forward to reading/learning more from you.

    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  2. In pre-k, at times I feel like we are working even below the fundamental level. These kids sometimes do not even know the most basic of things. And they certainly do not think logically no matter how many times you explain things to them. It is definitely a work in progress and I appreciate your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are definitely on the same page about learning and play. I think some times teachers loose track of teaching students at their level of development. I believe small children learn best in an interactive play environment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Olivia,

    I like your comments regarding invented spelling. I think it is important to let students spell the words the best way they can at first. I think this process ultimately helps them more than the teacher merely telling them the correct way to spell the word. I am not sure how much teachers do this at the middle/secondary level. I know many students just get a dictionary or ask a peer when they aren't sure how to spell a word. I wonder if students are taught/encouraged to do this rather than just spell the words as they think they should be spelled. I wonder what does this do for students as they progress through school.

    ReplyDelete